Sunday, October 16, 2005

My son's in need of a friend

I've been his friend but I think he's at a stage where he needs to have more good friends around his age. Each time we leave a gathering of relatives or family members, my son would cry throughout the journey home. Never mind if it is from Bukit Batok all the way to Tampines..West to East... and mind you it is not at all intermittently. It is incessantly. The further away we travel from where we started off, the louder it becomes.

Yesterday night was the worst... He cried continuously from Regent Heights all the way to Tampines. I tried to console him but nothing seemed to stop him from wailing. We sang...nasyid to rhymes to Barney songs. He continued. I hugged him, stroked his back yet my little one continued. I called my sister so that he could talk to his cousin - his favourite playfriend - but she's already asleep. Even his favourite uncle couldn't make him stop. Because all he wanted was to be with them.

On reaching the carpark at home, he got a good scolding from his father. He continued. Called my sister again to let him talk to her at least. He stopped for a while then continued.

At last, I told him that well, everybody goes back to his own home at the end of the day. Therefore cousin needs to go back. So do we. Father prepared his milk... Still sobbed.

I took out his favourite Thomas and Friends book. This time he asked for Thomas VCD to be played instead. And it was 11.30p.m. I normally don't allow him to watch whatever VCDs beyond his sleeping time but yesterday was an exception. I relented.

So Thomas it was. Watching him whooshing by, tooting, huffing and puffing FINALLY made him stop crying.

I'll most likely enrol him in a playgroup class earlier than planned. I thought at 4 he would be more ready but perhaps 3 is quite a suitable age. He needs to have some friends of his age to call his own.

2 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger yuRa said...

hey there. i know it can be frustrating.

i don't mean to discourage you, but i read about putting your child in school too early. the article was discouraging actually. it says to be careful when you do because kids at the same age don't speak well yet. so if they are all talking that language, it may not be good for their speech development.

but hey, you know kids who are sent to childcare are as young as 18 months - and they seem to turn out fine.

thought it just may be something you might like to consider.

what i did with hani was, i put her in playgroup in the middle of school year. she was 3 years and 9 months by then. 9 months earlier, she was baby-talking so i didn't think she was "ready".

still, no one knows a child better than his own mum. i wish for you good judgement in your decision! : ) hugs to muhammad.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Nani said...

Next Feb, he will turn 3. His playgroup class will start in Mar 2006 - twice a week programme. I agree that he will not develop much if others are still talking baby language but I thought he will have friends to play with other than his mum and sis. I'm still considering... haven't register yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home