Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Singapore, My Home

Yes, I must say that this is the place I've been marginalised before. Nobody can argue with me on this coz I experience this first hand. This is the place I have to work doubly harder than people of other races, when I was in school and at work (before I resigned). This is also the place I've heard racist remarks, read racist blogs by others. I've experienced them all. Yes, to say that I was devastated and flabbergasted about all those is an understatement. But this post is not about that.

Each time when National Day comes, I do feel, yes, I do feel for Singapore. Because of the sheer fact that this is My Home. This is where I have been given birth to and this is where I gave birth. This is where I have been raised and educated and this is where I am raising and educating. This is where I cry and laugh and this is also the place I make my family cry and laugh. This is where I got close to a non-Malay friend - a Punjabi when I was in primary school and a Chinese friend in JC. This is where I met great friends in RGS and NUS. This is where everything happens, well other than the occasional holiday trips abroad.

This place is for people who are willing to stay together harmoniously. This place is for Chinese, Malays, Indians, Eurasians and anybody who can live with differences. For those who cannot live with differences, I think, they should go live in China, India, Malaysia or wherever else, where there are predominantly Chinese, Indians and Malays respectively.

I am thankful and glad that we are a peaceful country, we have a clean government, we have everything, almost, working like clock-work. In celebrating our 41st year of independence, I must say that I appreciate what Singapore has for me and my family.

Happy Birthday Singapore.



8 Comments:

At 4:29 PM, Blogger melayudilondon said...

Happy National Day! I pun bikin National Day posting. Eh, apa first hand experience you dapat? tell me! tell me!

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger yuRa said...

i read pasuni maulan's article in the papers the other day and i was so inspired to raise my kids to be better citizens and to contribute to the nation. wahahaahh...

have i just been brainwashed? :p

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger melayudilondon said...

wah! kat mana kadi pasuni's artikel? ni nak kepoh lah ni...

 
At 4:39 AM, Blogger yuRa said...

i baca kat bh ah. can't recall if it was a sat or sun paper. tak tau online ada ke tak.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Nani said...

Sri P : My first hand experience being marginalised was hurtful and antagonising. I was the coordinator for a Career Talk at my school. I mobilised teachers and students to prepare for the event. I called in ITE, polys and ex-students to make presentations. I went to see the principal several times to get approval for things to be done. The executiuon of tasks went on smoothly on the actual day.

My principal went on to thank everybody involved - EVERYBODY except yours truly - who happens to be the overall i/c and the only Malay. How was I to decipher that? A coincidence? A one-off incident? A remote example? Can't be when there are other examples to show that he is consistent in valuing skin colour more than merit and ability.

About other examples, we'll talk about it another time. But I know for sure, it does happen.

Yura : I'll check out PM's article.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger melayudilondon said...

Oh dear! the few examples i had was of course, cannot speak mandarin, no interview. and of course naz experienced racism during an interview. the interviewer ckp bulat2 that she was well qualified but they cannot give her the job because she's a malay. due to "security" issues. of course ramai chinese frens of mine cakap mana ada rasisme kat singapore? ye lah pasal they all tak kena.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger melayudilondon said...

kena sabar lah ni...

 
At 5:05 AM, Blogger Nani said...

In some cases, I think sometimes some pp have pre-conceived notions that we are not capable, just because of our skin colour. Some think that we are possible terrorists or hooligans just because there are some Muslims out there who misbehave. Sterotype attitude towards us can be very irritating.

Nevertheless, who is capable, who is not...time will tell. Yes, we need to be patient.

And I truely believe that anyone of us, regardless of race or religion can be potential hooligans and can be potential good people. Anyone. Look at what's happening in the world today and you'll know what I mean.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home