Thursday, June 29, 2006

Two cents worth

Talent vs Looks

Anugerah Skrin / Idol Mania
I know what I want to comment on is very dunia but I really can't help it. Takde benda nak tengok on Monday evenings, I used to watch Anugerah Skrin but I did miss some episodes. Anugerah Skrin started with a bang but kesian, the ending was rather anti-climax. I think.

I was expecting better quality talents in the finals actually. But really, mana pergi good talents in Singapore ni. To cut the story short, I must say I agree with Tiara Jacqualina. Ada talent, kurang package. Ada rupa, kurang talent. Kesian! Kesian! In the end, the winners are not really THE ones who have the total package. Kesian! In the end, the show which, I bet, used up a considerable budget, had to content with such an ending. Kesian.

Pentas showbiz is like that. People want to see nice -looking people and good talents too. And not just anyone. In Asian showbiz, people tend to value looks more than anything else. TAPI nasib baik pentas dunia, THE JUDGE is fair. Rupa tak penting. Amalan dan perngai penting.

Still on that, America does accept people with exceptional talent who may not have THE looks. America chose Ruben Studdard and Taylor Hicks for their American Idols. And even Fantasia. If they compete in Singapore, I bet the judges, especially the last judge would say that they may sound like Idols but they don’t look like Idols. Remember what the last judge said to Mathilda D’Silva or sthg? You see she sang relatively well lah – when you are compared with people who cannot sing, you are anytime better. But he (the last judge) said she doesn’t look like an Idol. What? He thinks Singaporeans are so shallow ah? If America can choose Ruben and Taylor, why can’t Singaporeans have talents who don’t look so good but sound good. Okaylah, our talents are nothing compared to Ruben and Taylor but you see my point is, today, we want people who can sing and it does not really matter how they look. When it comes to a singing competition, ultimately, if you can melt hearts by your singing, you don’t really have to look very good. What matters most is the talent.

4 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Blogger yuRa said...

nani, i have sent you an e-mail regarding the photo disabling that you asked.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Nani said...

Ok thank you.

 
At 2:01 AM, Blogger i.am.hyrul said...

hey there.

I am intrigued with ur post. I hav to agree with all your statements. Especially the part on Singapore idol. I find it ridiculous now.

Just need to thank u for actually expressing my own personal thoughts in ur entry.

 
At 2:29 AM, Blogger Nani said...

Hi Hyrul,

Nice to have you drop by.

I think, the thinking Singaporeans have gone beyond the superficial. At the end of the day, what we want is real talent. I suspect the impressionable teenagers are the ones who are most lured to worshipping artistes who are good -looking but with so-so talent. But generally, rational individuals want to see and hear real talent.

And I'm a fan of your voice. Just don't bother about what Kumar said about you during the competition. Everyone is entitled to his opinion. Maybe your demeanour is God's way of protecting you from the `merepeks' of life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home